Friday, June 13, 2008

Musical Interlude: Old School Friday - Favorite Female Singers

This was so very difficult, I love so many styles it just depends of my mode, but growing up as a child and even now Whitney Houston's voice still gives me chills.



UPDATED: DP here. That Girl Boo's been doing a great job with the Old School Friday's for the past couple of weeks, but I've gotta jump in here because she made such a good choice. Whitney Houston can definitely blow and had a string of pop hits, but do y'all remember when the whole world figured that out? Yep, the 1991 Super Bowl and her rendition of the national anthem.



And since the theme is "Favorite," rather than "Greatest" female singers, I had to throw in one of my all time favorites N'Dea Davenport. Here's she is with the Brand New Heavies doing Never Stop.



Don't forget to check out the rest of the Old School Friday crew.

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab - Creole Pimp - Wonderland or Not

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent choice! ms. Whitney certainly has a voice to be reckoned with!!
Happy OSF!

Hagar's Daughter said...

Whitney at her prime was just unbelievable, incredible. I also chose Stephanie Mills because that lady can sing.

Happy OSF!

That Girl Boo said...

Help DP my hyper links aren't hot

Marvalus said...

I watch Whitney's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and it still gives me chills...Whitney in her prime was absolutely unmatched!

Great choices this week!

Enjoy your weekend!

crys said...

am i the only one hoping that whitney sings at obama's inauguration :-)
man that is a pleasant thought....

Quick said...

Whitney was the business!!! Too bad that voice has been compromised-

Big Tex said...

I can't believe it's been more than 17 years since Whitney sang the national anthem at the Superbowl. I still remember getting goosebumps listening to her belt it out. She was great, and her performance was all the more meaningful coming as it did in the middle of our last great expedition in the Middle East, the Gulf War.

SjP said...

Has it been that long! WOW! Must admit that I'm not really a Whitney fan - but can't deny the girl can sang!

I posted my all time favorite - Chaka Khan!

SjP

Danielle said...

So smooth here for O.S.F.

Have a great weekend.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

That Whitney Houston song was my mom's favorite. She would always say the greatest love of all is learning to yourself, even before Whitney re-made the song.

I do remember this version of the National Anthem was a hit for awhile. People like the fact that she didn't oversing it, but nailed it none-the-less with her powerful version. Wasn't this around the time, Roseanne Barr trashed the song.

HeyShae! said...

Woooow! OMG you took the prize IMO with N'Dea Davenport. She's definitely a gem that people have forgotten about (me included).

And Whitney is automatically on my list so it goes without saying. I remember when I heard Saving All My Love, I was like "who is this!?" LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Believer said...

Whitney was given a gift to sing. No doubt! Praying for her return.