Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Garden

I'm always talking to people about gardening, so today I decided to show my little garden. I'm no "Master Gardener" and man do I wish I knew one, because that would keep me from running to the specialty garden shop way across town once a week. But I do know a couple of things.

Anyway this year I've planted

1.) Many heirloom tomatoes, and a couple of traditionals;

2.) Red, yellow and orange bell pepper plants, and one jalapeƱo pepper plant (which I read that most are red, we just pick them pre-mature);

3.) Two types of heirloom watermelons, one orange melon & one ice box sugar baby melon;

4.) Cucumbers

5.) Large kidney beans & black turtle beans (although the black beans never sprouted)

6.) Sweet corn

7.) One Irish potato plant just for fun

So, are there any other gardeners out there? Let's hear from you!

*Updated with a few pictures (click pic for larger image)*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm soooooooooo proud of you. Your garden looks great. I can't wait for a plate (LOL). I love seeing the rich soil, it brings the beauty of your garden to surface. Take care my Sista
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Since you stated that you are a beginning organic gardener here are a few things that you may already know but just in case:

When you decide which tomatoes to plant, remember that there are two types of tomato plants. Determinate and indeterminate. The difference is the length of the season for the plant to produce fruit. A determinate tomato will usually give you one big crop and then begin to die back. An indeterminate variety will continue to produce for you as long as weather conditions and such are good for growing. I've had an indeterminate cherry tomato vine produce constantly in the greenhouse for a couple of years.

About melons:

Be careful to plant various melon varieties far away from each other and not even in the same zip code as cucumbers. (well...zip code reference may be a bit of an overstatement)

Melons will cross-pollinate and give you ummm..interesting and sometimes horrid taste sensations. I once had honey-dew melons cross with wild lemon cukes and the taste would make a grown man cry. Even the wild animals left that crop alone.

Yes, bell peppers of various colors are the same plant but require longer time before harvest depending on the color and taste that you desire.

Menopausal Mick