Friday, June 26, 2009

Musical Interlude: Old School Friday - Michael Jackson, 1958-2009

What a tremendously sad day. Michael Jackson has passed away. This is a devastating loss for the music world and the world in general. Many people my age grew up, came of age, and matured along with Michael Jackson and his music. We watched the Jackson 5 cartoons on Saturday mornings, sang along to "I Want You Back" and "Dancing Machine." We watched as he hit the superstar level with the "Off the Wall" album. Everone knows that happened after that - "Thriller" - only the best selling album of all time, followed by another mega seller in "Bad." Everything Michael Jackson touched turned to gold. Even some obscure dude named Rockwell was set up for life thanks to a hook sang by Michael Jackson in the song "Somebody's Watching Me" which you might know from the current Geico commercials.

Michael Jackson is a legend likely never to be surpassed in the field of entertainment. I'm just happy I had the opportunity to enjoy his music first hand, and to now watch my 11 year old discover his music a generation later. His music just had that affect on practically everyone, across the generations. I haven't even touched on his live performance ability, but having seen him and his brothers live on the Victory Tour, consider me a witness to his electrifying ability on stage.

I could go on and on, but there are only so many ways to describe the indescribable and the incomparable. Plus you're here for the music, so here is one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs, "Man In The Mirror." Here Michael sang about himself and his inner struggles in a personal way, and the song's message is still today one that we all should listen too.

Rest in Peace Michael. The world will not soon, if ever forget your name.



Don't forget the rest of the Old School Friday crew. I'm sure there are some great tributes up much more eloquent than mine.

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab - Creole Pimp - Wonderland or Not - SoulAfrodisiac - Bria Bria - CCGroovy -

5 comments:

MrsGrapevine said...

I will say it again, how can you listen to this song and not care about what's going in the world. He's saying take a look at yourself, and in my blogging genre, people need to play this song over again over again, namely Perez Hilton.

Marvalus said...

I love this song, and it resonates with me heavily today...

Happy OSF...

CCG said...

THANXXX for this selection!!!

HAPPY OSF!!!

Unknown said...

I love man in the mirror. That is one song of his older life that I love but it always made me sad because Michael seemed so lost, lonely and sad in his latter years.
There are many songs of Michael's that I love and as a young girl I (as all other young girls did!) had the biggest crush. As I got older I fell out of love and as an adult I liked his music less and less but no one can every say that he did not have talent and break multiple barriers for the generation of performers that came after him.
I hope he is finally at peace, something I think eluded him in life. This is definitely a loss of an awesome talent. RIP - MJJ.

Anonymous said...

Very Nice and informative blog, let share with me this kind of blogs... thanks for sharing.....
___________________
rozy
Best place for your complete Internet marketing