Monday, November 26, 2007

What In the Hay is Food Irradiation?

It's me ya girl Boo, and today my topic of discussion will be

"Food Irradiation"

Have you ever heard of this term before? Most likely not, but it's weird because it's a common thing that happens to a small part of our food supply, such as herbs and spices. So let me stop rambling and just tell you what it is.

Food irradiation is the process of exposing foods to ionizing radiation; gamma rays, electron beams, or X-rays; to kill bacteria, parasites, insects, or fungi that can cause spoilage.
Well that sounds good, but the major question here is can this in any way be harmful to humans. In my opinion: Yes

Irradiated foods have caused a host of health problems in laboratory animals (and even people in a few studies), such as chromosomal damage, immune and reproductive problems, kidney damage, tumors, internal bleeding, low birth weight, and nutritional muscular dystrophy.

This process can also kill beneficial microorganisms such as the yeast & mold that help keep botulism at bay, as well as spawn mutant forms of E. coli, Salmonella, and other harmful bacteria, making them more difficult to kill.

Irradiation can destroy vitamins, nutrients and essential fatty acids, as well as corrupt the flavor, texture and other physical properties of some foods that create the aromas that tell us when food has good bad (like that certain fast food hamburger that never smells bad even when left out for a week, you know which one I'm talking about).

So if you're thinking about the perfect holiday gift, please first consider spending your dollars within the community.

Next I would say purchase your loved one a few bottles of their favorite
non-irradiated seasoning. The flavors are so good, you'll never cook with the old stuff again, and of course, or course, or course they are safe! The only problem I've ever seen is

1. They are a bit pricey, and
2. They are generally only sold in stores such as Whole Foods or other expensive specialty stores.

But for my Holiday gift from me to you, I will purchase these spices for you at wholesale prices, just the way I purchase them through my co-op.

I'm not making any money off of this, I just want to expose & give my community a healthy choice. If your interested, plz let me know, and I'll give you the link to pick your own spices.

The order deadline will be in a couple of weeks.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: