Friday, April 10, 2009

Musical Interlude: Old School Friday - If Mama Only Knew

If Mama Only Knew. That's today's theme for Old School Friday. Where to go with this one? The obvious choice would be to cue up a couple of songs that made her pull her hair out back in the day and say "What's wrong with you kids? That's not music!" I'm sure we've all experienced that, it's a generational thing that I'm now saying/doing with my own daughter. But I'm not going to go there because this theme presents the opportunity to go a little deeper.

Most of y'all know I lost my Mother last year at the way too young age of 64. That threw me for a loop no doubt. As time goes by, I find myself reflecting more on what she meant to me, the things she taught me, and the sacrifices she made for my siblings and I. The unconditional love in other words.

I've also realized that there were points in my life where the unconditional love wasn't returned to the full degree that it should have been. Nor was the acknowledgment of and appreciation for the sacrifices she endured to raise us kids adequately expressed nearly enough by me in plain, easily understood language. Now that she's gone, what I want to say, know I should have said or done, and wish I still had the chance to say or do is amazingly clear in my mind.

But it's too late.

So If My Mama Only Knew how much I love her, miss her, and cherish each day that I had with her; and how the lessons she taught me in life I'm really just beginning to understand; and that I can still see and hear her in the voice and mannerisms of her granddaughter; I think she'd be proud and happy.

So how do you express all of that emotion through song? By playing one of the best songs ever written to express just those feelings of course. Here's Maxwell doing his version of Kate Bush's "This Woman's Worth."



Unfortunately most of Maxwell's videos can't be embedded, but here's a link to the original music video.

That's it, and I hope you enjoyed my interpretation of the theme. Happy Old School Friday and don't forget the rest of the OSF crew!

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab - Creole Pimp - Wonderland or Not - SoulAfrodisiac - Bria Bria - CCGroovy -

9 comments:

Marvalus said...

This is a beautiful interpretation of this week's theme...and a beautiful tribute to your mom.

Vérité Parlant said...

Lovely tribute to your mother. You have my condolences. My mother also passed last year at age 81. Yes, 64 is a young age to pass on. Thank you for sharing this post and interpretation of the theme. Beautiful.

pjazzypar said...

Your mother is smiling. As for Maxwell, I don't know a woman who doesn't love this guy, mothers included. Happy OSF.

Unknown said...

Happy OSF! I was still singin' Prince's Sexy MF from another blog when I got here. You brought me to a good place with Maxwell. And your note reminds us that tomorrow is never promised. I'm going to call my Mom after I send this comment. Stay strong DP...

I'm certain that I would never want my mama to hear, see or associate 2 Live Crew with her saintly son!

peace, Villager

Unknown said...

Beautiful sentiments and I am sure your mother is smiling down on you.
Lovely tribute.

Revvy Rev said...

Very nice tribute. You are right that mothers are too often under-appreciated. This tribute is evidence that it is never too late for love is stronger than death.

Mz.Bria2U said...

what poignant words, I spoke to my mom earlier and told her I loved her, but I just told her I love her again.

Please add me to your blogroll and I'll reciprocate.

Bria

MrsGrapevine said...

I sound like Simon from American Idol, but I love when you take the themes and making them your own. The interpretation is up to the individual. I lost my mom too, at the age of 53, and so I understand. This week's theme has been touching because many people made it more personal...

I love anything Maxwell, I don't think he has any bad songs...

Mz.Bria2U said...

passing through :)