Thursday, July 03, 2008

Another Beef Recall?

Are you kidding? Another beef recall the day before the 4th of July.

No it's no joke and I'm not kidding. According to an article in the
Houston Chronicle this morning, Kroger (which is the nations biggest traditional grocery store) has recalled it's beef in now at least 20 states, because the beef has been linked to E. coli bacteria contamination.

According to the Chron,
532,000 pounds of ground beef that was produced between May 16 and June 24 could have been contaminated, but personally speaking we all know better than that. As I mentioned earlier this week I watched 15,000 angry protesters in the streets of South Korea that don't want our beef, but according to our own grocery stores apparently we don't even want our beef either.

I called and spoke with a woman from the United States Department of Agriculture who couldn't give me a list of any "definite" states affected by the recall, so what I've done is compiled a list of from the articles that I read. The other states included in the recall are: Texas, Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, New York, and Pennsylvania. You can click on Arizona and find many of these states listed, and she named New York and Pennsylvania directly. I'm still trying to find the last three.

By the way, the others stores included in the recall are Fred Meyer, QFC, Ralphs, Smith's, Baker's, King Soopers, City Markets, Hilander, Owen's, Pay Less,and Scott's
This type of recall isn't anything new. In fact I posted just a few months ago when Cargill Inc. recalled 1 million pounds of beef for the second time in a month due to E. coli bacteria contamination.

B
ut it seems we will never learn.

5 comments:

Hagar's Daughter said...

Beef, tomatoes, green onions, lettuce, spinach, chicken... genetically engineered grains and products...

Since I don't eat meat or animal products I am seriously considering growing my own food.
This is ridiculous and frightening.

Anonymous said...

We'd all BETTER start paying a little more attention what goes into the making of our food. Everybody else is.

Besides, there's nothing like freshly grown vegetables from your own garden (or so I've heard).

Anonymous said...

"Besides, there's nothing like freshly grown vegetables from your own garden (or so I've heard)."

Hey! Dp! is this an attempt to disparage Miss Boo's garden?

Men...sheesh. heh.

You just wait. Next spring, Miss Boo will have a garden big enough to feed all of Houston.

Until then, shop at local farmer's markets. I'll bet there are half a dozen of them in the Houston area. Ask questions of the vendors. Many of them grow organic produce but can't advertise it as such until they receive the government's "organic" stamp of approval which can take a while. If they use heirloom seeds or stock and don't have any commercially prepared additives introduced for production it'll likely be a heck of a lot safer than any commercial food from a commercial source.

It also helps support people who are working to make a change in our food supply locally.

In the final analysis...it's all a crap shoot these days. If you don't raise the food yourself, you risk eating tainted and/or genetically modified food. Farmer's market produce hedges the bet a bit but the ultimate answer can be found in Boo's garden.

Mick

DP said...

Mick - Now you know I would never do that! Boo has actually become quite the gardener over the past few years, and for the small amount of space she actually uses, produces quite the yield. Not enough to feed Houston yet, but maybe Sugarland!

And yes-the vegetables all taste good!

On another note, how are you settling in up there in the Ozarks my friend? I hope all's going well and proceeding according to plan.

Anonymous said...

DP,

We're in a totally new environment but we're loving it for the most part. So far, the only thing I am missing is cultural diversity in the small towns of the area.

Almost everyone I meet who are local born and bred look like they are long lost cousins. Irish/cherokee mix. I worry that folks will pass out from apoplexy when the rest of my bi-racial/multi-cultural family come to visit. Maybe I'm afraid to trust in the apparent "goodness" of the local people. Maybe I lived near big city nastiness for too long and it has made me cynical about mankind. They haven't put any burning crosses in my frontyard yet and we three live in a commune which is obviously a departure from their norm so perhaps everything else will be fine, too.

There was a hate crime here a couple of years ago against a homosexual couple who opened up a campsite/resort for gay men. A crazed preacher had a few of his flock harass the fellas with some truly horrid deeds. The rest of the small town stood up to the hate mongers and the madness stopped. I can't remember ever hearing of an entire community organizing against hate, can you?

Gives me hope.

As for everything else... I live in a secluded forest. How could I NOT love that? You folks really really have to come visit. You'll leave the city forever if you get a glimpse of this beauty.

Besides... I still owe you a bottle of scotch.

Mick