Sunday, May 04, 2008

So Uh, Why Now Barbara Walters?

In pretty much every case infidelity is a bad thing. And like the old folks used to stay, "whatever happens in the dark, eventually comes out in the light." I guess that's the case with former Sen. Edward Brooke, as Barbara Walters let the cat out of the bag that they were getting it on thirty years ago.

When I heard this, the first thought that came to my mind was "well, at least Mr. Brooke ain't around to have his reputation and family destroyed by this revelation."

I was wrong. Edward Brooke is still very much alive and living with his second wife in Florida.

Now, usually I don't even bother with who's sleeping with who, but something about this bothered me. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I found a post that hit the nail on the head. It's from over at Sojourner's Place, and you really should go read the whole thing, but here's an excerpt.

It will never cease to amaze me just how much white folks take their white privilege for granted; and Barbara Waters's "come clean" announcement on Oprah is just one more example of this. It seems Walters wanted to come clean about an affair she had with Senator Edward Brooke of Massachusetts over 30 years ago. And she does so, without any regard to the impact this revelation would have on Brooke's, or his family.

... The Associated Press article breaking this story, makes no mention of whether there were attempts to contact Brookes before writing or going on Oprah and telling all of hers and his business. One can only assume that since this is not mentioned, that she nor her publicist thought that detail important. Further, the article does not speak to any mention from Walters what part this affair may have played on Brooke's first marriage which, ended in divorce.

Definitely an interesting point of view, and it does sum things up. Brooke for his part kept it simple by declining to comment when asked by the AP.

"I have had a lifetime policy and practice of not discussing my personal and private life, or the personal and private lives of others, with the notable exception of what I wrote in my recently published autobiography, `Bridging the Divide: My Life,'" he told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Miami.

The end result is that his reputation will definitely take a negative hit, and there's no telling how this will impact his family and legacy. Or as my wife says, he's getting what he deserves.

In the meantime, Barbara Walters celebrity will only increase. After all she defied the odds by going Black and coming back. That'll sell some books all by itself, regardless of the Oprah factor. I'm glad Mr. Brooke managed to at least get a plug in for his book too.

2 comments:

SjP said...

DP - much obliged for the link and you know, I could not agree more! SjP

DP said...

SjP - thanks for coming through. That was a great post you put up. I'd planned to reference it on News and Notes, but I didn't get a chance to comment on the affair. See you on OSF!