Friday, May 23, 2008

Musical Interlude: Old School Friday - Guitar/Bass Solos

Happy Old School Friday! It's been light posting for the last couple of days around here due to real life intrusions, but I just can't miss posting Old School Friday, especially with a topic I suggested; Favorite Guitar or Bass Solos.

I'm all over this because my musical tastes are pretty varied and I've had a chance to listen to guitarists from many different genres practice their craft. There are a ton of solos to choose from, but I decided to post a guitar solo from one of my favorites of all time, Ernie Isley.

Ernie Isley is truly one of the most underrated guitarists ever. This brother can just shred, but played within the constraints of the Isley Brothers Band for his entire career. However, every now and again, he got the chance to just show out on a song, and this is one of them. Here's Ernie Isley performing a solo version of the Isley Brothers all-time classic, Who's That Lady.



Here's the whole band playing the same tune, so you see how Ernie just acted a fool in the previous clip. He still tears it up, but, I mean, c'mon.



I'll try and add a bass solo or two to this post a little later, but in the meantime don't forget to check out the rest of the Old School Friday participants. I'm pretty sure there are more people taking part, so if I missed anybody, leave it in the comments and I'll add you to the list.

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab - Creole Pimp

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy OSF! I love me some Isley Brothers! Thank you for pointing out the guitar player ... I always think of them as a whole ... never took time to learn about the individaul players before your post...

I don't know much about guitar solos and such. However, I do know a genius when I see one and I think that Jimi Hendrix was a genius with the guitar. That is why I chose Jimi Hendrix for this week's OSF meme...

peace, Villager

Quick said...

nice job! Happy OSF

Anonymous said...

I thought about the Isley Brothers but I just couldn't find a good video on youtube to showcase the guitar. I see you had no problem.

Great choice!

HeyShae! said...

Oh yeah! Don't sleep on the Isleys band players. They weren't just about singing. They had a damed good band too. Who's That Lady was my mom's favorite by this group.

Unknown said...

Awesome song and you that Ernie is a bad Mutha...! At the end he was just straight showing out!!!
Have a great weekend!

Hagar's Daughter said...

I choose Ernie Isley also - his guitar playing is sick it's so good. I read somewhere that Hendrix took notes from Ernie.
Ernie doesn't get the accolades that he sho'nuf deserves.

Happy OSF and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ernie truly WAS underrated in the guitar world! I mean this brotha could get stupid reckless on the guitar. I will like his work on "Who's That Lady".

Great vid picks!

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::

SjP said...

You know I love your picks! Don't you wonder just who is that lady? SjP

Believer said...

I heard Ernie over at Hagar's Daughters, but was so delighted to listen again. Thanks!

DP said...

To All Y'all - Thanks for coming through. I really enjoyed this Old School Friday because it showed me that folks participating have some seriously varied musical tastes, and that's a good thing.

Looking forward to next Friday.

Peace,

DP

DP said...

Ann - thanks for dropping by and I appreciate the kind words. I hope to see you in here often. Is the http://racingonlinegames.net your site? I will check it out!

Take care,

DP