Friday, May 16, 2008

Musical Interlude: Old School Friday - Remakes

Man, y'all know I'm tripping. I was so tired yesterday that I actually posted Old School Friday on Thursday. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. So if you've already seen this post, well, act like you haven't! Anyway...

Happy Old School Friday (Again)!

This is one of the coolest days of the week around here, and today's theme is "Remakes." As y'all can tell from many of my Musical Interludes, I'm a big Reggae fan, so today I'm posting a remake of the Bob Marley classic "Could You Be Loved" as performed by his sons Ziggy, Steven, Kymani, and Damian. Only Julian is missing, but it's pretty cool stuff. Check it out.



Just for good measure, here's Bob himself with the original.



That's it for this week, and don't forget the rest of the Old School Friday participants.

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab

14 comments:

HeyShae! said...

Marley! All right. This is an excellent choice. :o)

Unknown said...

great choice! I am partial to the Bob Marley version, I love it! but his son did it some justice!
have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

This is going to sound awful. I really haven't listened to much reggae music but, of the two choices here. I like Bob Marley.
His son isn't bad but, I like the way Bob sounds.

LOL about the posting early what day is it thing.

Anonymous said...

ShAĆ© - ShAĆ©; Thanks,and I'll be making my rounds this evening to see what you've posted.

Regina; I'm a big Marley (family) fan. Bob's the original but his sons are holding it down in regard to legacy, especially Ziggy.

The True Urban Queen aka Sharon; I still haven't come up with an acronym for you! I really love the reggae music because so much of it has an empowerment message to it. Our music here in the states has gotten away from that. Keep coming by, I'll make you a fan yet!

iriegal said...

Well, iriegal love her some Marley anything. Big up! I posted Jimmy Cliff's "I can see Clearly now."

ONELOVE IRIEGAL!!

SjP said...

I like...I like... SjP

Unknown said...

Outstanding choice. I don't listen to reggae enough...

peace, Villager

Anonymous said...

I need to listen to more reggae, too. I use to listen to a lot of Dance Hall, but lately all I listen to is NPR. Talk about getting old.

Marvalus said...

There is nothing like a good Bob Marley song to push you along in the day...

Love it!

Hagar's Daughter said...

You're right, this is cool. Have a great weekend.

DP said...

Happy OSF everybody.

iriegal - I admit, I'm partial to the Marley's too. I like that Jimmy Cliff you posted at your site.

SjP - You're a woman of few words, but they convey exactly what you want! lol

Villager - Reggae is powerful music, once you figure what some of them are saying. I like the instrumentation as well, especially the bass playing. And I've been driving my wife nuts trying to learn to play Redemption Song on my guitar.

MrsG. - Damion broke it down Dancehall style at the end of the remake. I listened to a lot of dancehall back in the day, but a lot of them started talking like our own U.S. thug rappers, so not as much anymore. I'm getting old!

msmarvalus - I agree, do you have a favorite Marley tune? I've got a lot, but I think Rainbow Country or Three Little Birds top the list. That may change if you ask me tomorrow.

Hagar's Daughter - thanks and you have a great weekend too.

In fact, everybody have a great weekend, and see y'all next Friday.

Believer said...

Preach about love and folk will listen.

The Marley Brothers are carrying on tradition and a message. Great choice!

Invisible Woman said...

I agree with everyone; this was a great choice...

Quick said...

I've got you added!