Friday, May 02, 2008

Musical Interlude - Old School Friday: Singers That Inspire My Ten-Year Old

Happy Old School Friday! Today's theme was originally "Singers We Want To Be" or something like that. It's been modified to those we admire or inspire us, but this was still too difficult of a choice for me. So I turned to our in-house expert on pop culture and performer admiration and inspiration; my ten-year old daughter. Let's just call her T.P. When I posed the question to T.P., her first reaction was, you guessed it, Beyonce.

Why, I asked; What inspires you about her? "Well, duh, Dad, she's famous, rich, and married to Jay-Z, who's famous and rich too."

OK I get that, but that's admiration for what she has. Nothing against Beyonce but how does she inspire you?

Silence.

Suddenly, my wife and I found ourselves in the middle of a teachable moment. Parents, y'all know what I'm talking about. So we discussed what can lead you to admire someone, how music can inspire you, and the difference between the two. We talked about the differences in music as well, and how some singers, through the words they write and sing, can really impact your life and way of thinking.

Well, T.P. sat there for a minute thinking about it, and then said, well in that case, the people who's music inspires me are India.Arie and Alicia Keys.

My girl! Now I know neither of these young ladies are Old School, but y'all bear with us, we'll get back to it next week. In the meantime on behalf of T.P. (with just a little guidance from her parents), here are the Singers That Inspire My Ten-Year Old Daughter. Thanks for the help Baby Girl!

First up, India.Arie with There's Hope.



And here's Alicia Keys with a live version of No One.



That's it for this week. Don't forget to check out the other participants in Old School Friday.

Electronic Village - Chatting Over Cocktails - Ms Grapevine - Quick - Marcus LANGFORD - Cassandra - Danielle-Lisa C -Chocl8t - DP - Kreative Talk -MarvalusOne - Regina - LaShonda -AJ - Sharon - Invisible Woman - Believer 1964 -Dee - SJP - sHaE-sHaE - Songs In the Key of Life - Shawn - Hagar’s Daughter - freshandfab

8 comments:

Marvalus said...

Aren't those moments with your children wonderful!?

I love India...beautiful and so true to who she is...

Anonymous said...

Well you are obviously doing a great job, because these are two women I admire as well.

I think any woman of color should admire India.Arie. The idea that black is beautiful and to be comfortable and secure in your own skin is inspirational to us all.

Hagar's Daughter said...

India.Arie's music is as beautiful as she is.

iriegal said...

These woman are truly inspirational

SjP said...

:>) these choices really make me smile! SjP

Unknown said...

Excellent way to make a "teaching" moment memorable!!
And TP made two very good choices! Neither of TP's choices have been spotted showing their va jay jay's all over stage and screen like beyounce does!!

HeyShae! said...

Two wonderful choices. Both have been inspiring to many of their fans. :o)

DP said...

MsMarvalus
MrsGrapevine
hagar's daughter
iriegal
sjp
Regina
ShAĆ©-ShAĆ©

Y'all forgive me for this group reply, but thanks for coming through and I do appreciate all of your comments. I've been on the road a bit and busy as heck otherwise, and didn't really get a chance yet to make my OSF rounds. I appreciate you all, and I'll see you on Friday - for real this time!