Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - Remember Our Veterans

I always feel strange saying Happy Memorial Day based on the fact that the day is set aside to honor our military veterans, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice while serving this nation. I suppose that most of the country is happy today though, with a day off from work and summertime approaching, so Happy Memorial Day!

Wars are not acts of God. They are caused by man, by man-made institutions, by the way in which man has organized his society. What man has made, man can change.

Frederick Moore Vinson

I lifted that quote directly from my buddy Big Tex at The Old 18 blog. You should go visit him today as he has the most comprehensive set of Memorial Day posts up that I've ever seen anybody do.

Memorial Day is very important as we honor those who've sacrificed so much for this country. More importantly, I think Memorial Day should be a time of reflection on war itself, and the need to eliminate it from the human experience.

Yeah, wishful thinking I know, especially with the amount of money that war generates for corporations, and the needed distractions it provides for unpopular governments. but a man can hope, can't he? Especially considering that many of our veterans aren't receiving the help they need when they return from the distant war zones. Last week, a new G.I. Bill was passed that grants education benefits to military veterans of the current campaigns. That's great news and long overdue. But we also need to do more for those opting out of the military and having difficulty making the transition to civilian life.

I'll post more later today, but in the meantime, enjoy your Memorial Day and put in a thought and prayer for those who aren't here any longer to do the same.

3 comments:

Big Tex said...

DP, thanks for pointing people to my blog entries. I have a nephew over in Iraq right now, and I'm hoping that he makes it home okay, so Memorial Day has a bit of added significance for me this year. My heart goes out to everyone who's lost a loved one in Iraq, and to those who are waiting anxiously for a loved one to return safely.

Anonymous said...

Big Tex - You're welcome, that's an incredible series of posts that you have up. I'm thinking about your nephew and all the other fine men and women in the war zones today, and saying a prayer for them all to return safely in mind, body, and spirit.

Indiaabundance said...

Hi,
Thanks for your nice post !!!