Saturday, May 10, 2008

Linux Anyone?

Any of y'all know anything about Linux, especially Kubuntu? If so, I have a request. In the real world I refurbish computers and right now have a bunch of Fujitsu Stylistic ST4110 Tablet PC's that I'm trying to prepare for an educational project.

The problem? There's no after market version of the Windows Tablet PC operating system available, and VISTA is too big and too expensive for use in this project. So, I'm turning to Linux, and while I've installed the Kubuntu kernel on desktops before, this is a completely new scenario.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, or just want to tinker with something like this, I'd love to hear from you in the comments or via email at therealready@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

Just_Wondering said...

I know nothing about Linux...only know that it's a solid operating system that's complicated (according to a PC tech I'm friends with) So I digress... I was wondering if you could tell me what type of educational project you are preparing for?

DP said...

just_wondering - Appreciate your visit and comment. Regarding Linux, it's not as complicated as you think., just different from what many of us are used to. In the developing world it's becoming very popular due to its open source nature (no cost) which brings the overall cost of technology down.

The project is to work out the best OS install option for the particular tablets I have, then to engage a group of high school students in a service learning project to complete the rest. Participating students will get to keep a unit, and the others will be used as part of laptop lending program for specific projects.

That's the plan right now anyway.